August the 3rd, 1867

This letter was writtem by Samuel D. Cliser in Virginia to his cousin Joshua Clizer in Missouri.


Sperryville

Rappahannock County, Va
August the 3rd, 1867

Dear Cousin,

It brings such an immense elapse of time since we have wrtitten to each other that I have disremembered which wrote last, although that is a matter of no consequence with me, therefore I embrace the present opportunity to write a few lines to see if I can hear what has become of you all, and to know whether all or any of you have escaped the fatal blow of the wild and terrific deluge that has laid waste and destruction to our country. I have heard from you once or twice since we received a letter from you, but only once since the war closed and that's when Mr. Carter came from Missouri, he told us that you were in the land of the living though like a great many in this country have gone through many trials and hardships. I understand that cousin Charles has been very unfortunate in the late calamity in which I greatly sympathize with him. I also much regret the death of your mother and the other members of your family that have died since we received any correspondance with each other as therefore knowing it is a duty that developes upon us from the fact that we are related by the connecting ties of the blood of our ancestors; we should cherish feelings of respect and gratitude for each other, and not let the remembrance of our relationship be sunk into oblivion through absence and neglect. We have had a very hard time in this country during the late war in undergoing the hardships of exposure and trials and difficulties arising from the frequenting of the armies. I suppose you would like to know the price of produce flour is 12 to 14 dollars per barrel, wheat from 2.00 to 2.50, corn 85 cents, Oats 61 cents, rye 1.00. Milch cows from 30 to 40 dollars, beef is 7 and 8 cents per pound, horses are very high and scare. I forgot to tell you that all got through the war safe that is without being wounded or getting killed. Unkle Hary Lehew's family has been in bad health for sometime. Ambrose and Susan is thought to have the consumption, the balance have all got well. I don't know what was the matter with any of their relations, but are generally well. I must close as my paper is out. I will write more next time, please write soon and give me all the paticalas concerning the family as it has been so long since we have heard from any of you. The family all joins me i sending their love to you all, give my love to your brothers and sisters and reserve a portion for yourself. Mother say's she did think you would have neglected writting so long.



Samuel D. Cliser

SAMUEL DAVID CLISER 1868

SAMUEL DAVID CLISER 1868
SPERRYVILLE, RAPPAHANNOCK COUNTY, VIRGINIA

MARTIN MATHIAS and GRACY ANN CLISER

MARTIN MATHIAS and GRACY ANN CLISER
SAMUEL CLISER'S BROTHER MARTIN 1877